Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Lose power during an emergency and you’ll be grateful if you have a portable generator for electricity. You might also use an outdoor grill for cooking. But the Connecticut Department of Public Health cautions everyone to use generators and grills with care. Here are some guidelines from the department’s Connecticut Guide to Emergency Preparedness.
Avoid CO Build Up
Misuse of portable generators and outdoor grills or other cooking devises can cause carbon monoxide (CO) to build up in your home, garage, camper, or other confined space. CO can poison animals and people. Follow these guidelines:
1. Don’t use a portable generator inside your home, garage, carport, basement, covered porch, or any enclosed space.
2. Use a generator outside at least 20 feet from your own and any neighbors’ homes or businesses. Keep the portable generator away from doors, windows, and air intake vents so the CO it generates will not be able to travel inside.
3. Propane and kerosene heaters can also help in an emergency but keep them outside.
Whatever your natural disaster question is, SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield has answers. Call at 860-216-2785.
4. You may be tempted to use your gas oven or stove top to heat your house. Never do that.
5. Before an emergency check to make sure you have CO detectors installed on each level of your home and business. Have them right outside sleeping areas, too. Change the batteries every six months and replace your CO detector every five years.
6. Know that opening windows and doors and using fans is not enough to stop a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide in your home or business.
CO Poisoning Can Look Like The Flu
7. The symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu symptoms: headache, tiredness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or loss of consciousness. These signs may be your only warning because you cannot see or smell CO.
8. If you have the symptoms of CO poisoning or if someone around you does, go outside to get in the fresh air. Dial 9-1-1 from a mobile phone or from a neighbor’s house. If you’re in Connecticut you should also call the Connecticut Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
CO or natural disaster questions? Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield at 860-216-2785.
9. After a snow storm, make sure your car's exhaust pipe is clear. A clogged exhaust pipe could lead to carbon monoxide buildup in your vehicle.
10. There’s more information about carbon monoxide on the Connecticut Department of Public Health CO Poisoning page.
A Wealth Of Natural Disaster Information For You
Every month on our blog, SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield publishes educational articles on how to prevent natural disasters and deal with them quickly and effectively should they occur. Here are a few blog posts you might find helpful:
Chemical Caution: What To Know Before You Enter That Damaged Home Or Business
Chemical Emergencies: Preventing And Handling Them
Your Cleanup, Restoration & Safety Quiz
When Disaster Strikes Time Is Precious
Many factors make SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield a great choice for restoration after a natural disaster or for disaster cleanup:
• More than 40 years of experience as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider
• A network of 1,500 franchises nationwide so we can call in any resource you might need
• On site evaluation of your natural disaster recovery needs within four hours of you contacting SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield (860-216-2785)
• Highly trained staff with experience in all types of natural disasters
• Assistance with dealing with your insurer and filing a claim
• Local knowledge and resources—we know your community and we have relationships with other local organizations that can help you in times of need
Here To Help You
The team at SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield also has specialized training and experience in water damage restoration services, fire damage restoration services, mold remediation, commercial restoration, commercial cleanup, and natural disaster cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield (860-216-2785) any time, any day of the year.
We've served clients in Avon, Agawam, Bloomfield, Coventry, East Hartford, East Longmeadow, Ellington, Enfield, Farmington, Hartford, Manchester, Newington, Simsbury, South Windsor, Springfield, West Hartford, and beyond.
SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield
100 Peters Road
Ralph DiCristofaro, Nat Landon, Ron DeFeo
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860-216-2785 anytime