Drinking Water Emergencies
Water contamination doesn’t happen frequently in Connecticut and the surrounding region but it’s best to be prepared. Dangerous chemicals or other unhealthy substances can make water unsafe to drink. That can happen with a water system failure, accident, terrorist attack, hurricane damage, or in other ways according to the Connecticut Department of Public Health. Hazardous chemicals, human waste, or animal waste can get in to a water supply and make the water dangerous to drink.
Don’t Use Water That’s Changed in Smell or Taste
If a Connecticut water emergency occurs your water company or local officials will tell you if your drinking water is not safe to drink. The Connecticut Guide to Emergency Preparedness says that if your water has an unusual change in color, smell, or taste, or has floating pieces in it don’t use it or drink it.
Disinfect Flooded Wells
If you are a homeowner or business owner in a flooded area and have a private well that has flooded, consider that well contaminated. Flooded wells should be disinfected before use. To be safe, treat your water or use bottled water until you disinfect the well. You can find more homeowner information about flooding, wells, and cleanup at the Department of Public Health’s page on this subject.
Faster to any size disaster. Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield at 860-216-2785.
What if you’re told to treat your drinking water? Use treated or bottled water for all your cooking, washing fruits and vegetables, brushing teeth, making baby formula—all water uses. Use treated water to wash your hands before you cook. There is one exception. Adults and older children do not need to use treated water to shower or bathe. They just need to not swallow or get untreated water in their mouths. Infants, toddlers, the elderly, and people with severely compromised immune systems should be bathed using treated or bottled water.
How To Treat Potentially Unsafe Water
There are many ways to treat water you think is contaminated so it will be safe for use. Here are three options:
1. Boil your drinking water at a rolling boil for one minute. Make sure it is clear of floating pieces before boiling.
2. Add water purification tablets per the directions on the tablet package.
3. Add eight drops of liquid chlorine bleach to every gallon of clear water or 16 drops to every gallon of cloudy water. Do not use household bleach that has perfumes or ingredients other than sodium hypochlorite. That type of bleach may be toxic. Mix the water and bleach well and let it stand for at least 30 minutes before you use it.
Have questions? Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield today 24/7 at 860-216-2785.
For more emergency water safety tips, go to the American Red Cross’s Water Treatment page.
A Wealth Of Natural Disaster Information For You
Every month on our blog, SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield publishes educational articles on how to prevent natural disasters and deal with them quickly and effectively should they occur.
Why SERVPRO Excels
Many factors make SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield a great choice for fire and water cleanup and restoration. We offer:
• More than 40 years of experience
• A network of 1,500 franchises nationwide so we can call in every resource you need
• On site evaluation of your natural disaster recovery needs within four hours of you contacting SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield
• Highly trained staff with experience in all types of natural disasters
• Assistance with dealing with your insurer and filing a claim
• Local knowledge and resources—we know your community and we have relationships with other local organizations that can help you in times of need
Here When You Need Us
The team at SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield also has specialized training and experience in water damage restoration services, fire damage restoration services, mold remediation, commercial services, and natural disaster cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield (860.216.2785) anytime, 24/7.
We've served clients in Avon, Agawam, Bloomfield, Coventry, East Hartford, East Longmeadow, Ellington, Enfield, Farmington, Hartford, Manchester, Newington, Simsbury, South Windsor, Springfield, West Hartford, and beyond.
SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield
100 Peters Road
Ralph DiCristofaro, Nat Landon, Ron DeFeo
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860.216.2785 anytime