If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 216-2785

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

No Kitchen Fires!

2/4/2021 (Permalink)

A fire-damaged kitchen Kitchen fires happen suddenly and can cause lots of damage to your house. Follow our tips to prevent a kitchen fire in your home.

Most home fires start in the kitchen, and most of those are related to cooking. Since the kitchen has sources of ready fuel, such as cooking oils, gas appliances, towels and more, a kitchen fire can rage out of control quickly and spread to the rest of your home. But if you follow just a few basic guidelines, you can really reduce the odds of a kitchen fire happening to you. Whether you’re cooking or not, follow our tips to prevent a fire from starting in your kitchen.

No Fires When You’re Cooking

Stay put.

The most important thing to do when you are cooking is to never leave your cooktop or range unattended. If cooking in the oven, be sure to be within earshot (to hear a timer go off, for instance) and no further than the next room. If cooking on the stovetop, do not leave the kitchen, period.

Keep it clean.

A fire needs fuel to burn, so keep your stovetop and cooking area free of combustibles. This means towels, oven mitts, paper towels, food wrappers and other items should not be near the stove. It also means that spattered grease should be cleaned up promptly, both on the stovetop and in the oven.

Dress for success.

When cooking, your clothes should be close-fitting to prevent them from touching a flame and catching fire. In particular, if your sleeves are long or loose, roll them up.

Cool it down.

Don’t toss hot grease into your kitchen trash. Let it cool down first, perhaps in an empty can, before disposing of it.

Keep it empty.

Don’t store food inside your oven—if you forget about it and preheat, you may start a fire.

No Fires When You’re Not Cooking

Don’t be plug ugly.

The key to a safe kitchen when you’re not cooking is to use electricity safely. That means all appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, never an extension cord. And that outlet must be properly grounded and must match the appliance’s rating plate. Further, it’s a smart idea to unplug small appliances, like your toaster, when you’re not using them. Finally, check your cords to be sure they are all undamaged and replace any that are frayed or cracked.

Ovens are for eating, not heating.

Never use a gas oven to heat your home. You risk both a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.

When you have suffered a fire or other disaster at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield at 860-216-2785

We're Here for You

The team at SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield has specialized training and experience in fire restoration and cleanup, as well as natural disaster and storm damage cleanup, water damage and mold remediation, water and mold damage, and chemical and biohazard cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield (860.216.2785) any time.

Other Helpful Blog Posts

SERVPRO publishes educational articles on how you can protect your home and business from fire, water, mold, sewage, storm, natural disaster and other damage.

SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield

Top 50 Franchise Nationally

100 Peters Road, Bloomfield, CT 06002
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro 
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860.216.2785 
24-hour emergency service

When you have suffered a fire or other disaster at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield at 860-216-2785

Other News

View Recent Posts