20 Fireworks Safety Tips
On Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, New Year’s Eve, and at other times many of us enjoy gathering with family, relaxing, and celebrating. When you’re celebrating, SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield would like you and your family to have fun but to also be careful.
When dealing with fireworks, sparklers, or anything else that has the potential to cause harm if mishandled, follow safety guidelines from the American Red Cross or other similar groups. Here are some fireworks safety tips we support. Have a safe and fun holiday!
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks display put on by professionals. Stay 500 feet or more away. If, however, you choose to put on a display of fireworks from your home the American Red Cross and others recommend:
1. Never give fireworks to small children.
2. Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks and similar materials.
3. Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
4. Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
5. Light only one firework at a time.
6. Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
7. Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures, or flammable materials.
8. Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks.
9. Know your fireworks. Read all the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
10. Always have a responsible adult supervise firework activities.
11. Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
12. Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from buildings and vehicles.
13. Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak the dud in a bucket of water.
14. Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them into metal or glass containers.
15. Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
16. Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and placing them in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
17. Don’t attempt to travel on a plane with fireworks. FAA regulations prohibit the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
18. Report any illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to your local fire or police department.
19. Keep all pets far away from fireworks and the noise.
20. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, in 2015 U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 11,900 people for fireworks related injuries. Fifty one percent of those injuries were to the extremities and 41% were to the head. Fireworks are serious fun. Please treat them as such.
Help Is Here
The team at SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield also has specialized training and experience in fire restoration services, natural disaster prevention, water damage, chemical cleanup, and natural disaster cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield (860.216.2785) anytime.
SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield
Top 50 Franchise Nationally
100 Peters Road, Bloomfield, CT 06002
Certified SERVPRO technician
24-hour emergency service