Fire Damage Clean Up Tips
How do you clean up after fire damage?
First, consider your safety. Only stay in your fire damaged home if you know it’s safe. Remember that electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most common ways people get injured after a fire.
If putting the fire out has left lots of water on your property, avoid lifting wet materials. They could be much heavier than you think. When fire has damaged your property, some of the first steps you should take are:
What To Do After Fire Damage
• Limit movement in your home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
• Keep everyone’s hands clean so you don’t further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
• Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
• If your electricity is off, empty your freezer and refrigerator and prop the doors open.
• Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
• Wash your houseplants on both sides of leaves.
• Change your HVAC filter.
• Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After Fire Damage
• Don't try to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo your carpet or upholstery without contacting a professional. You may do more damage.
• Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
• Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water.
• Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
• Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Remember, we’re here to help. We are fire restoration contractors. Many people in the Connecticut region have used our professional fire restoration services. So call SERVPRO Bloomfield/Enfield (860.216.2785) anytime, 24/7.
At SERVPRO we’re trained in many emergency restoration services. We know the safest, most advanced, and quickest ways to help you recover from fire and smoke damage. We've served clients in Ellington, West Hartford, Avon, Springfield, Manchester, Hartford, Newington, Bloomfield, East Hartford, Enfield, Simsbury, Coventry, South Windsor, Agawam, and beyond.
Ralph DiCristofaro, Nat Landon, Ron DeFeo
Certified SERVPRO technicians
24 hour emergency service