If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 216-2785

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Can Make You Sick In So Many Ways

5/30/2018 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Mold Can Make You Sick In So Many Ways Mold can be a silent destroyer of health. Don't let it make you sick.

We’ve said this before: It’s important to identify and eliminate mold as soon as it begins to develop. Mold can be highly toxic and can have long-lasting effect on human health. Children, seniors, pregnant women and people with pre-existing health conditions are particularly vulnerable to mold.

Below is some information we received from Aer Industries about mold. Aer provides commercial water damage restoration equipment to the professional restoration and other companies.

The Organizations That Study Mold

Mold is such a severe health issue that many organizations study it. They include the Institute of Medicine (IOM), the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They have all researched and published findings on the links between this toxic substance and different illnesses and health conditions.

Mold's Health Effects

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.

The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.

Mold Sensitivity

Some people are particularly sensitive to mold, while others can develop a sensitivity over time due to prolonged exposure. Mold sensitivity includes symptoms like:
o    Chest and nasal congestion
o    Coughing, sneezing, and wheezing
o    Sore throat
o    Watering, dry, or sore eyes
o    Skin irritation
o    Headaches

Mold-Related Infections

People with compromised immune systems or pre-existing lung conditions such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD) are much more susceptible to mold’s health hazards. In fact, people with these types of conditions can potentially develop infections in their lungs if they’re exposed to mold.

Respiratory Conditions
Mold exposure can also potentially cause respiratory conditions in otherwise healthy people. This includes symptoms such as upper respiratory tract problems, coughing and wheezing and shortness of breath.


Mold is also linked to developing respiratory illnesses like asthma in certain people who are more susceptible. This is particularly concerning for healthy children who may go on to develop asthma or other types of respiratory illnesses. For those who currently suffer from asthma, mold exposure can intensify symptoms and cause asthma attacks.

Severe and Chronic Conditions

Certain types of mold produce mycotoxins, a dangerous toxic by-product that can be absorbed by the skin, airways and intestinal lining. Prolonged exposure to mycotoxins can lead to severe and even deadly conditions. Some of the potentially dangerous symptoms of mycotoxigenic exposure include:
o    Pulmonary fibrosis (scarring in the lungs)
o    Cancer
o    Pulmonary bleeding
o    Immune and blood disorders
o    Liver and kidney conditions
o    Neurotoxicity (toxic nervous system)
o    Pregnancy conditions
o    Digestive and heart conditions



Controlling Mold in Your Home

If you have a mold problem in your house, the CDC recommends you control the growth of mold by doing some basic things like keeping the humidity level low (50 percent or lower) and promptly fixing leaks in roofs, windows, and pipes. If you have flooding thoroughly clean and dry all affected areas.  And ventilate areas where moisture levels can be high—showers, laundry, and cooking areas.

But getting rid of mold can be complex. Mold is hard to identify and dangerous to be around. If you have an especially chronic case of mold infestation call on a professional mold remediation company like SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield. Professionals have special training, equipment, and experience to safely eliminate the problem. Using professionals ensures the safety of yourself and your family. It also means the job will be done thoroughly and correctly so the problem does not reoccur.

More Information On Our Blog
You can learn more about fighting mold by reading other posts on this blog:

7 More Myths About Mold

Removing Mold From Walls: Part 1

Disgusting Places In Every Home: How To Clean Them

How To Clean Mold With Bleach

Mold Threatens Priceless Collections


SERVPRO of Bloomfield/Enfield
Top 50 Franchise Nationally
100 Peters Road, Bloomfield, CT 06002
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro
Certified SERVPRO technician
Call 860.216.2785
24-hour emergency service

Other News

View Recent Posts